Slow-Cooker Apple Crisp
- Prep 20 min
- Total2 hr50 min
Skip the oven, and make dessert in your slow cooker! This decadent apple crisp cooks up beautifully in the slow cooker to a warm, delicately spiced fresh apple dessert with an irresistible oat topping. Serve with a scoop of ice cream on top, and gather the family together to enjoy this ultimate fall treat.
small apples, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch slices (6 cups)
cup granulated sugar
tablespoons all-purpose flour
teaspoon ground cinnamon
cup all-purpose flour
cup old-fashioned oats
cup packed brown sugar
cup cold butter, cut into 8 pieces
Ice cream, if desired
- 1Place apples in large bowl; add granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and the cinnamon. Stir until apples are evenly coated.
- 2Spray 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Place apple mixture into slow cooker.
- 3In large bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour, the oats, brown sugar and salt. Stir until well combined. Using fork or pastry blender, cut cold butter into mixture until crumbly. Sprinkle over apple mixture. Cover and cook on High heat setting 2 hours. Turn off heat; remove cover, and cool 30 minutes.
- 4Serve warm with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.
- Choose a firm, tart apple variety for this recipe, such as Granny Smith.
- Be sure to cut apples into even 1/2-inch slices—too thick, and they won’t be tender enough; too thin, and they might turn to mush in the slow cooker.
- Swap old-fashioned oats for quick-cooking oats, if desired.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.
- Keeping the cover off the slow cooker for 30 minutes after cooking helps to evaporate any excess liquid as the crisp cools.
Source: Read Full Article