Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- Total: 3 hr 5 min
- Prep: 15 min
- Inactive: 2 hr
- Cook: 50 min
- Yield:6 to 8 servings (about 8 cups)
6 small russet potatoes (about 3 pounds)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 slices bacon
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
6 ounces sharp Cheddar, cut into 1/3-inch cubes (about the size of a pea)
2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
- Position 2 racks in the center of the oven, and preheat to 375 degrees F. Thoroughly wash and dry the potatoes, then prick each all over 8 to 10 times with a fork. Rub the butter evenly on the potatoes, and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet with at least 1 inch of space between them.
- Put the bacon in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place both baking sheets in the oven, the bacon below the potatoes. Cook the bacon, flipping halfway through, until golden brown and crispy, 18 to 20 minutes; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate, let cool and then crumble. Bake the potatoes, flipping halfway through, until the skin is crispy and a small knife inserted in the center goes in and out without any resistance, 45 to 50 minutes. Transfer the potatoes to a cutting board and let cool completely, about 2 hours; quarter each cooled potato lengthwise, then cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Whisk together the sour cream, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons water and 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the potatoes, bacon, Cheddar and white parts of the scallions, and gently stir to combine. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with the scallion greens right before serving.
Source: Read Full Article