This is a popular family favourite pudding with soft apples on the bottom and a light buttery sponge on top.
- 450 g/1 lb cooking apple's, peeled, cored and sliced
- 75 g/2³/4 oz cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 50 g/1³/4 oz/¹/3 cup sultanas (golden raisins)
- 75 g/2³/4 oz/¹/3 cup butter
- 75 g/2³/4 oz/¹/3 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 150 g/5¹/2 oz/1¹/4 cups self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp milk
- 25 g/1 oz/¹/4 cup flakes (slivered) almonds
- Custard or double (heavy) cream to serve
Grease an 850 ml/1¹/2 pint/3¹/2 cup ovenproof dish.
Mix the apples with the sugar,lemon juice and sultanas (golden raisins). Spoon the mixture into the greased dish.
In a bowl, cream the butter and caster (superfine) sugar together until pale.Add the egg, a little at a time.
Carefully fold in the self-raising flour and stir in the milk to give a soft, dropping consistency.
Spread the mixture over the apples and sprinkle with the flaked (slivered) almonds.
Bake in a preheated oven 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4, for 40-45 minutes until the sponge is golden brown.
Serve the pudding piping hot, accompanied by custard or double (thick) cream.
Cooks Tip:To increase the almond flavour of this pudding, add 25 g/1 oz/¹/4 cup ground almonds with the flour in step 4.
Source: Read Full Article