Active Time: N/ATotal Time15 MIN
Yield: Serves : 12
This Perilla Slaw showcases the sweet aroma of perilla, or shiso, a tender herb reminiscent of basil. It pairs perfectly with crunchy cabbage, apples, and carrots.
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise, preferably Kewpie
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 (2-pound) head of cabbage, shredded on a mandoline (about 9 cups)
- 3/4 pound carrots, julienned (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 (8-ounce) Gala or Fuji apples, julienned
- 1 (8-ounce) red onion, thinly sliced
- 20 perilla or large basil leaves
How to Make It
In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, sugar, rice vinegar, lemon zest and juice, and 2 teaspoons salt until smooth.
Add the cabbage, carrots, apples, and onion, and toss to coat. Immediately before serving, julienne perilla leaves. Toss slaw with perilla, and season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Source: Read Full Article