Caribbean black cake recipe | Waitrose
500g pack essential Waitrose Mixed Fruit
270g pack Waitrose Love Life Soft Prunes,roughly chopped
500ml dark rum
250g butter, softened
250g light brown
4 medium Waitrose British Blacktail Free Range Eggs, beaten
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp black treacle
200g self-raising flour
1. Put the mixed dried fruit and prunes in a bowl with the rum. Cover and leave to stand for at least 6 hours or overnight.
2. Tip the fruit and any unabsorbed rum into a food processor, and blend briefly until the fruits are chopped but not completely puréed.
3. Preheat the oven to 150°C, gas mark 2. Grease and line the base and sides of a 25cm loose-bottomed cake tin. Put the butter and sugar in a bowl, and beat with an electric whisk until very smooth and creamy. Gradually beat in the eggs, a little at a time, until thickened and smooth. If the mixture starts to separate, add a little of the flour.
4. Stir in the vanilla and treacle, followed by the flour. Once the flour is mostly combined, tip in the dried fruit mixture and stir in gently until evenly distributed. Transfer to the tin and level
5. Bake for about 2 hours or until the surface of the cake feels firm to the touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin. The cake will most likely dip a little in the centre, but this is normal. Store in an airtight container where it will keep well for several weeks before cutting.
Source: Read Full Article