Smoky Carrot Dip
Sweet and smoky roasted carrots are blended with chickpeas, almonds, lemon juice, garlic, and herbs. It’s the perfect companion to seeded crackers or good bread. Make sure the carrots are tender to their core before you pull them from the oven for the smoothest possible texture.
Like this Bon Appétit recipe? There are plenty more where this came from. Subscribe to the magazine here!
- Makes about 3 cups
- ½ cup skin-on almonds
- 2 lb. carrots, trimmed, peeled
- 2 Tbsp. plus ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil; plus more
- 2½ tsp. kosher salt, divided, plus more
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup canned chickpeas
- 3 Tbsp. (or more) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ tsp. hot smoked Spanish paprika
- ½ cup coarsely chopped parsley, plus leaves for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toast almonds on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing halfway through, until slightly darkened and fragrant, 8–10 minutes. Let cool; set aside.
- Cut any thick carrots in half lengthwise, then slice all carrots crosswise into 4 pieces. Toss on a parchment-lined baking sheet with 2 Tbsp. oil and 1 tsp. salt. Spread carrots out evenly on baking sheet and roast, stirring once or twice, until very tender and starting to shrivel and brown (but not char), about 1 hour.
- Transfer carrots to a food processor; add garlic, chickpeas, lemon juice, pepper, paprika, chopped parsley, ½ cup oil, 1½ tsp. salt, and reserved almonds. Process, adding more oil as needed, until mixture is almost completely smooth. Taste dip and add more lemon juice and/or salt if needed.
- Transfer dip to a small bowl, drizzle with more oil, and top with parsley leaves.
- Do Ahead: Dip can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and chill.
Source: Read Full Article