Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
Active time:10 min. Total time:2 hours, 10 min.
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)
Dairy and the slow cooker don’t typically agree, but in our Slow Cooker Creamed Corn, the cream cheese and cornstarch produce a creamy, emulsified sauce. Since canned corn doesn’t have much natural sweetness, so instead of adding a bunch of sugar, we’ve developed a more savory cream corn. There’s still a slight sweetness from the sour cream, and a fresh, herbaceous lift from the thyme. Adding a can of cream-style corn makes the whole dish feel a little more homogenous, and unites the ingredients better than if you use straight corn kernels and cream. Use the chilled leftovers to make creamed corn fritters.
- 3(15 1/4-oz.) cans sweet whole kernel corn, drained
- 1(14 3/4-oz.) can cream-style corn
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 4 Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Cooked and crumbled bacon
How to Make It
Stir together sweet corn, cream-style corn, cream cheese, Parmesan, butter, cornstarch, salt, pepper, and, if desired, thyme in a 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW until hot and slightly thickened, at least 2 hours or up to 3 hours. Uncover and stir in sour cream until blended and smooth. Serve sprinkled with bacon.
Source: Read Full Article