Sausage-and-Shrimp Pizzas with Spinach-Basil Pesto
Active Time: 1 Hour 20 MinsTotal Time1 Hour 20 Mins
Yield: Serves 8
Shrimp might seem like an unusual pizza topper, but they couldn’t be more delicious when paired with smoky sausage and a bright and fresh pesto. When you’re at the seafood counter, choose medium shrimp (43 to 50 typically come in a pound). They are best for these grilled pizzas because they won’t overcook or undercook.
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated on smallest holes of box grater (about 1/2 cup)
- 2medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest plus 1 Tbsp. fresh juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 8 ounces hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 pound medium-size peeled, deveined raw shrimp
- 1/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 2(1-lb.) fresh prepared pizza doughs, at room temperature
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, torn into small pieces, divided
How to Make It
Process spinach, basil, pecans, Parmesan, garlic, lemon zest and juice, pepper, 7 tablespoons of the oil, and 1 teaspoon of the salt in a food processor until almost smooth, 30 seconds, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Set pesto aside.
Preheat a gas grill to medium-high (400°F to 450°F) on 1 side; preheat other side to low (250°F to 300°F). Place a large grill-safe skillet on unoiled grates over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Add sausage; cook, breaking up into small pieces, 5 minutes. Add shrimp and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. (Shrimp will not be cooked through.) Remove skillet from grill; set aside.
Sprinkle cornmeal evenly over a large rimless baking sheet. Shape 1 of the pizza doughs into a 14-inch circle; place on prepared baking sheet. Spray the grill grates over medium-high heat with cooking spray; slide dough off baking sheet and onto grates. Grill, covered, until grill marks appear, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from grill. Flip over, and spread grilled side of crust with half of the pesto, leaving a 3/4-inch border. Sprinkle evenly with half of the sausage-shrimp mixture and half of the mozzarella cheese. Return pizza to grill grates over low heat. Grill, covered, until cheese melts, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from grill; cut into 8 slices. Repeat with remaining pizza dough, pesto, sausage-shrimp mixture, and mozzarella cheese.
Source: Read Full Article