Green Rice with Tomatoes, Eggs, and Almonds
Photo by Joseph De Leo, Food Styling by Anna Stockwell
A batch of herby rice is a natural partner to peak-season tomatoes. But don’t forget about this rice once those tomatoes are gone. Green rice works in any season—paired with roasted squash, crispy-skinned fish, or big pieces of fresh cheese, such as paneer.
- 4 servings
- Active Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time
- 15 minutes
- 3 cups coarsely chopped parsley and/or cilantro (in any proportion)
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lime (or more)
- 1/2 (or more) garlic clove
- 1 1/2 tsp. (or more) kosher salt
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped salted, roasted almonds, divided
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice or other grain (such as brown rice, barley, or farro)
- 1 avocado, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, each cut into 4 wedges
- 2–3 medium tomatoes (preferably heirloom; about 1 lb. total), cut into 1/2"-thick wedges
- Blend herbs, oil, lime juice, garlic, salt, and 2 Tbsp. almonds in a blender or food processor until a smooth pesto-like sauce forms. Taste and add more lime juice, garlic, and/or salt if desired—you want the sauce to be well seasoned.
- Toss rice with 3/4 cup sauce in a medium bowl. Add avocado and scallion and gently toss again.
- Divide rice mixture among shallow bowls. Top each with egg and tomato, dividing evenly. Drizzle some remaining sauce over. Top with remaining 2 Tbsp. almonds.
Source: Read Full Article