Chestnut, Bacon and Sage Stuffing Rolls
Photo by William Meppem, Chris Court, Con Poulos, and Anson Smart
These rolls can be assembled 2 days ahead and refrigerated. If you want to serve them alongside pork or turkey, simply add them to the same oven in the last 40 minutes of roasting time.
- 8–10 servings
- 50g unsalted butter (aout 4 tablespoons)
- 2 small brown onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100g (3 ½ oz) rindless bacon, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup (80ml) dry sherry, plus 1 tablespoon extra
- 8 soft fresh dates (160g), pitted and chopped
- 1 (240g) can cooked chestnuts+, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup (35g) slivered almonds, toasted and chopped
- 3 cups (210g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup each finely chopped sage and flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon each sea salt flakes and cracked black pepper
- 24 thin slices streaky bacon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Melt the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and bacon and cook, stirring, for 5–6 minutes or until soft. Add the sherry and dates and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to a large bowl and add the chestnuts, almonds, breadcrumbs, sage, parsley, lemon rind, egg, salt and pepper. Mix to combine and set aside.
- Cut 2 large pieces of aluminum foil and 2 large pieces of non-stick parchment baking paper. Lay 1 piece of foil on a flat surface and top with 1 sheet of baking paper. Arrange 12 of the bacon slices, overlapping slightly, on the paper. Place half the stuffing along one edge of the bacon and shape into a log. Using the foil and paper to help you, roll the bacon to enclose the stuffing, wrapping to secure. Repeat with the remaining foil, baking paper, bacon and stuffing. Place the rolls on a baking tray and roast for 20 minutes.
- Place the extra sherry and honey in a small bowl and mix to combine. Remove the rolls from the foil and paper and return to the tray. Brush with the honey glaze and roast for a further 20 minutes or until crisp. Slice to serve.
Source: Read Full Article