Banana Nut Shortcake
Active Time: 25 MinsTotal Time1 Hour 45 Mins
Yield: Serves 12
Strawberries may be the favorite fruit to top a shortcake, but we think you will love this tropical twist on the springtime favorite. Instead of making a loaf of banana bread, try these surprising Banana Nut Shortcakes. Leftover buttermilk biscuits, sliced, toasted, and topped with jam, make for a great breakfast the next day.
- 4 cups bananas, sliced (from 3 to 4 bananas)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface and kneading
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups whole buttermilk
- 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp. cold heavy cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar (or coarse sugar)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1vanilla bean pod, split
- 3 tablespoons shredded sweetened coconut, toasted
- 3 tablespoons toasted, chopped pecans
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 425°F. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender (or use fingertips) until mixture resembles peas. Add buttermilk, and stir gently with a spatula or wooden spoon until well combined and shaggy. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently until dough just comes together, 2 to 3 times. Pat dough with lightly floured palms to 1 1/2-inch thickness (do not use a rolling pin). Cut out biscuits using a 2 1/2-inch round cutter, gathering and patting scraps once more to make 12 biscuits.
Place biscuits about 2 inches apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Brush tops of biscuits with 2 tablespoons of the heavy cream; sprinkle with sanding sugar. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Cool on baking sheet 10 minutes.
Place powdered sugar in bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Scrape vanilla bean seeds into powdered sugar; add remaining 2 cups heavy cream. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form, 4 to 5 minutes.
Split biscuits; place on plates or a large platter. Dollop whipped cream onto bottom halves of biscuits. Arrange sliced bananas on top of whipped cream and sprinkle with coconut and pecans. Cover with biscuit tops.
Source: Read Full Article